Poughkeepsie, NY, is a beautiful place to spend the fall. If you own a home in the area, you may want to have your heating and A/C serviced before the coldest months of the year. Preventative maintenance can save you the time you would otherwise be without heat and need immediate help during the winter months.
- Check area around your outdoor heating and cooling equipment. Make sure that the area is completely free of grass clippings, leaves, trash, and lint from your dryer vents.
- Check your A/C and heating units to make sure that there isn’t any debris on them. There shouldn’t be mulch or snow on or around your heating and cooling units.
- If you have a cover for your A/C unit, use it in the colder months to protect it from the weather.
- If your indoor air filter needs changing this fall, have a new one handy or have a professional do it during a preventative maintenance inspection.
- Program your thermostat to heat your home efficiently. Consider lowering the heat when everyone sleeps or when the house is empty during the day. Talk to everyone in your family about a temperature that they are all comfortable with and make a goal to try to leave it at that temperature or lower.
- Inspect your floor and ceiling vents and make sure they are clean. Check that all your vents are clear of debris and don’t have furniture or other household items on top of them.
- Make sure your doors and windows are sealed correctly so that your home holds heat inside for as long as possible.
- Consider reversing the direction of your ceiling fans, so the air that sits close to the ceiling is pushed down and makes the living spaces warmer. Your fan should run clockwise when the weather is cold and counterclockwise when it is warm.
- Look at the indoor drain line connections to make sure they are in good working order.
- Get a professional to inspect your fuel system and make sure that it runs correctly.
A professional from D. Rohde Heating and Plumbing can come to make sure that your heating system is reliable and ready for the colder months in New York.